Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Emerging Church and Cool?

Several people have recently criticized the Emerging Church (maggi dawn and raw faith) while others have defended its need for relevance and incaration (emergent~kiwi). It is an interesting conversation, usually split between the Emerging Church ex-evangelicals trying to reclaim but not become Mainline, Catholic, Anglican tradition, and mainliners from those traditions defending themselves from the savanger EMers.

I recently posted my view on the relevant question concerning the EM (which emerging church.info is publishing next month, I think...), and concerning the mainliners question of resistance, so I won't rehearse it all here. (i must have been using my spidy sense...)

shortly I'll post some thoughts concerning the theft of tradition coming out of a recently conference, where i spent the entire time defending the EC (something I don't usually do).

and just to throw this out, I DON'T THINK THE EMERGING CHURCH SHOULD THINK IN MISSIONARY TERMS TO EXPLAIN WHAT THEY ARE TRYING TO DO IN THE WEST. IT IS NOT HELPFUL.

No comments:

Post a Comment