Saturday, October 03, 2009

Missional Monday: 10 People Not To Have In A Church Plant...

Here is a list of 10 personality types that destroy all the energy of planning and planting churches (and even the energy of an existing church). The opposite to these are based in deep faith and relational maturity, something I'll be posting on later (and if I was artistic I would made fun little drawings of the people).

So, the top 10 people not to have in a church plant...

1) Mr. Dream-Killer
"Come on, let's be realistic!"
"Don't you realize what facts are?"

2) Ms. Nay-Sayer
"That just doesn't make sense."
"That would never work."

3) Ms. Air-Talker
(to no one in particular, to everyone in general)
"I really wish this meeting could start on time."
-(translation: you are wasting my time and I don't like it.)
"At least I did what I was supposed to do."
-(translation: I'm the most responsible one here but no one appreciates me.)

4) Mr. Been-There (or Mrs. Done-That)
"We tried that once in the '90s, but..."
"People used to always think that, but..."

5) Ms. Reminds Me Of
"Once when I was 12 I saw a cat and..."
(then 7 minutes later)
"Oh yeah, that was like the time when I..."

6) Mr. Pouter
(with arms folded)
"...oh just forget it!"
(looking out the window)
"... you just don't understand."

7) Mr. Doer
(squirming in his chair)
"Are we still talking about this?"
"Are we done here? Can we move on?"

8) Ms. US Weekly (or if a man, Mr. Gus-ip)
(after the meeting)
"Did you know that X said...?"
"Could you believe X when Y said Z?!? OMG!!!"

9) Mr. Stereo(type)
"You always say that!"
"You sound just like..."

10) Mr. Bulldozer
"That is all well and good, but I think..."
"Really? It is more that obvious that..."

So, who do you think is missing?

2 comments:

  1. While this is good food for thought, I'm not sure I completely agree with your argument. It seems that each of these personality types creep up in everyone from time to time. I would agree that these people have the potential to destroy a ministry, but that is why it is so important to have a strong leader at the top. We are always going to be working with imperfect people, it is our job to help them discover and utilize their gifts in an effective manner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TJ,

    very true, about everything. well, almost. I agree with you that these are really a part of all of us, and that certainly I have succumbed to some of these behaviors.

    But I don't agree that the only way to alleviate these problematic people is to have a strong leader at the top. I certainly believe in strong leadership, but not necessarily situated at the "top" in a heirarchical manner.

    For me, most of these "characters" exhibit the lack of one or two characteristics: faith and humility, often both. They either poo-hoo something because they lack faith, but also want to be known as realistic and commonsensical. The "been-there" lack the imagination that comes with faith and the "reminds me of" and "bulldozers" lack the humility to listen to others and understand the world as others might see it. "Pouters", "Air-talkers" and "Gossips" just reek relational havoc.

    But I guess I should have said "10 people not to have on a church plant TEAM", because that is what I'm talking about. of course, once you are started, you just minister to/with whoever comes.

    ReplyDelete